Moorcroft

Moorcroft was named in 1876 after Alexander Moorcroft, an early settler who built a cabin in the Black Hills. Moorcroft had its beginning as a store, a saloon, and a roadhouse by the Belle Fourche River at the mouth of Donkey Creek.  During the 1890s, Moorcroft was the largest shipping point in the United States. Today it’s a bustling town that thrives in ranching and mining. In the old Gaelic language, Moorcroft means “Cottage on the Plains.”


Moorcroft Resources:


Moorcroft Chamber of Commerce


Town of Moorcroft