Upton, Wy: Best Town on Earth!
The Town of Upton is located at the junction of Highway 16 & 116 along Wyoming’s Scenic Bi-way, just 20 minutes from I-90. Upton offers a small, stable, safe community with opportunity to grow and flourish.
After origins dating back to the 1880’s and going through a number of name changes, Upton became a reality in 1902. Development continued with the existing railroad and then the constructed highway in the 1930’s. As ranching and mining brought continued growth to the area, Upton residents are proud today to call their town ‘The Best Town on Earth!”
THE BEST TOWN ON EARTH
The Town of Upton values its community amenities as The Best Town on Earth, including:
- Old Town: an interactive museum built of historic cabins and buildings of the area depicting the local and state historic heritage.
- A beautiful city park has modern facilities
- Nine-hole golf course complete with a clubhouse
- Fishing lake
- Access to the Upton Municipal Gun Club shooting ranges
- Upton Community Center for gathering of all sizes
- Upton Senior Center that serves discounted meals M-F and hosts several fundraising events including Bingo and Card Elimination nights.
- Outdoor swimming pool run by Weston County School District #7.
As a typical Wyoming town, Upton is impacted by the ranching, mining, manufacturing and railroad industries. Weston County School District #7 is the largest employer in town. Upton has a growing and thriving collection of small businesses that meet the community’s needs. A listing of those businesses can be found here.
ADVANTAGES OF DOING BUSINESS IN UPTON
- Upton Logistics Center located in close proximity to a BNSF main rail
- Residents and businesses enjoy low taxes in Weston County. Wyoming does not collect a personal income tax, or state income tax on corporate income. The sales tax in Weston County is only 6%.
- Per Tax-Rates, the median property tax in Weston County is $579 per year for a $115,200 home. Weston County collects, on average, 0.5% of a property's assessed fair market value as property tax.
- Active Economic Development Board
- Upton residents and businesses may have access to grants from the Upton Economic Development Board.